Badugi is a variation of Poker which has been extremely popular in the world of gambling and online casinos. It's a game that's also known as Badougi pr Padooki, and it's quite similar to three card draw; except, like many poker variations, it doesn't use traditional hand values. Badugi is a game that involves no more than 4 cards in a hand at a time, and the object is to win the pot by having the highest hand.
Rules: How to play Badugi
- Each player is dealt a total of 4 cards. Cards are dealt in a clockwise direction starting with the player who placed the required bet, the Small Blind
- Cards are only dealt one at a time, and all players have to have their cards for the game to begin
- A game of Badugi has 3 rounds
- First bet round: the player clockwise from the Big Blind goes first with the initial bets. Each player has the choice to fold, call or raise
- First draw round: each player can draw cards in clockwise order, and they can draw between 0 and 4 cards. They can never have more than 4 cards in a hand at a time so players can choose which ones to keep
- Second bet round: after the first draw round is the second bet round, players progress in the same manner as the first bet round
- Second draw round: is the same as the first
- Third bet round: Same as the second bet round, but a high stakes bet applies
- Third draw round: discards are reshuffled, but the process is the same as previous
- Final bet round: uses high stakes bets and proceeds as above
- Showdown: if more than one player is left standing, the showdown takes place where remaining players show their hands, the one with the highest hand wins and takes the whole pot!
Rules: Betting in Badugi
Limit Badugi - In limit Bagdui, bets are all made in increments
- Rounds 1 and 2 - players can bet the lower level bet which is set for the game. In a $2 and $4 game, players can bet $2 in the first 2 rounds
- Rounds 3 and 4 - higher level bets are accepted, meaning $4 as the higher level bet
- Betting capped - 4 bets per round are the maximum that players can make
- Pot Limit Badugi - Pot Limit Badugi allows players to raise the bets by any amount at any point in the game! The maximum bet accepted is the total value of the pot which consists of the small blind, the big blind, and one caller. However, there is no limit for each round as there is in Limit Badugi.
Half Pot Limit Badugi - this version is very similar to Pot Limit Badugi, the only real difference is that the maximum is half of the pot limit rather than the full limit.
Rules: Badugi Poker Hands
In Badugi, the low hands win, here are the top hands in this variation of Poker:
- Ace, 2, 3,4
- Ace 2, 3, 5
- Ace 2, 4, 5
- Ace 3, 4, 5
- 2, 3, 4, 5
- Ace 2, 3, 6
- Ace 2, 4, 6
- Ace 3, 4, 6
- 2, 3, 4, 6
- Ace 2, 5, 6
Badugi is one of the more popular Poker games, but knowing how to play other variations doesn't necessarily have an impact on your skills. If you're up for the challenge, give it a try!